Friday, June 17, 2011

The Weekly Wrap

Not a ton to report this week, as I'm still figuring out my voice for this blog. But something new that I tried was cutting back my tweeting total to 5 per day, at least for now. I find that I'm a lot more concise in my tweets, only saying things that I feel really need to be said instead of spouting off with "Man, it's getting cloudy out there!" or "Guess what this guy at Caribou said!" I'm not the kind of person who wants to wallpaper twitter with my tweets in the hopes that something I say will catch fire and a million people will suddenly start following me. I don't believe in that approach, so this fits.

I've also started adding more links, which you may have noticed (or not). I also tagged all of my posts, so that when you inevitably wake up at 2 A.M. some random Tuesday night thinking, "Oh my God, I need to know if Hobson would use first or third person narration in a dystopian thriller!" you'll more easily be able to see that third person is the way to go. Just kidding. Anyway, you can find all of those tags under the "Labels", er, label at the right.

There have been some interesting goings on in bookland this week, not the least of which is J.K. Rowling's compellingly minimalist Pottermore website. What can it be? It's definitely not a new book; smart money says it's some sort of interactive website, but we'll have to wait till June 23rd to find out. Secret tip: click on the owls to be taken to Rowling's YouTube channel. Kudos to the graphics team who worked on that site.

Also, there was some encouraging news on the indie bookstore front (I love indie bookstores and any remotely good news about them is greeted by me as a windfall of goodness). It seems that Unbridled Books’ “25 for 25” e-book sale has been deemed a success. During this campaign, a collection of indie bookstores from across the country sold ebooks of 25 different titles for 25 cents each. Hometown bookstore Politics & Prose here in D.C. sold 919 of the Unbridled e-books during the sales extravaganza. According to commenters, however, it wasn't publicized widely enough. Not sure how much this kind of thing will help keep indie bookstores afloat, but it seems promising.

And in movie news, I tried to watch 127 Hours this week, but only lasted to the 36 hour mark. Suffice it to say that if I was Aaron Ralston, I'd be dead now and my skeleton would still be hanging from that rock. He's officially replaced Mike Tyson as the toughest man in the world in my book.

That's all for this week. Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to go back and tag my posts, but it's not a task I'm going to enjoy so I keep putting it off. Maybe this week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I figured I ought to do it before I got so many posts up here that it became a nightmare. Good luck and thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete